Weightlifting is one of the most popular forms of exercise. It is especially popular among people who are just starting to exercise. If you’re a weightlifter, you may want to purchase one of the best weightlifting belt options on the market.
A weightlifting belt is an excellent tool for those who are experimenting with heavy weights. You should also consider using one if you have had recent back injuries. Unfortunately, finding the best weightlifting belt can be difficult.
Finding the best weightlifting belt will require you to do a lot of research. There are several different sizes and several different types. However, before you make your purchase, you should make sure that you have all your most pressing questions answered.
Your Most Pressing Questions About the Best Weightlifting Belt
Weightlifting belts may be a foreign item to you; as a result, you may not have the slightest clue what would qualify as the best weightlifting belt. Here we’ll help you by answering some of your most essential questions about weightlifting belts.
What is the Purpose of a Weightlifting Belt?
Before you can purchase the best weightlifting belt, you need to know what a weightlifting belt does. To keep things simple, weightlifting belts increase core stability and development when lifting.
It’s a common misconception that weightlifting belts primarily act as a brace for your back and torso, but this is not the main benefit of the belt. Instead, belts help increase stability in the lower back and abs. The advantage of this is that you feel the stress on your back ease.
The belt also makes it so when you are doing an exercise like a deadlift, you aren’t lifting with your back. Instead, your legs play a more significant role in the activity. As a result, there is less stress on your back, which helps prevent injuries.
How Do You Measure Yourself for a Weightlifting Belt?
As we mentioned earlier, there are several different sizes of weightlifting belts, and as a result, you can’t just buy any belt from the store. To find the best weightlifting belt for you, you will need to measure yourself correctly. Having the wrong size can be just as bad as not having one, so, make sure your measurements are accurate.
The first thing you need to do is measure your waist, but not in the same way you would measure for a pair of pants. The tape should go around your abdomen, going over your belly button.
When doing this, it may be tempting to suck in your stomach, don’t do this as it will give you an incorrect size. Also, while you measure, you should be wearing the clothes you would wear during a workout.
Next, you will need to determine the width of the belt. Belts generally have a width of 4 to 6 inches. For shorter people, 4-inch belts work best, whereas 6-inch belts are better for those who are taller.
Lastly, you need to choose the material of your belt. Manufacturers make weightlifting belts with either leather or Lycra. Leather belts provide better support, and Lycra belts are a little more flexible.
What Exercises Should I Use Weightlifting Belts For?
You won’t need to break out your weightlifting belt for every exercise you do at the gym. However, several activities benefit from using a weightlifting belt. We’ll look at five exercises that benefit significantly from a weightlifting belt.
Squats are one of the most common exercises where you will use a weightlifting belt. You can do both back and front squats, and a weightlifting belt is useful for both.
A belt is excellent for squats because there’s a lot of potential for forward torso flexion during this exercise. A belt will help ensure that you are using the proper mechanics and form so that you don’t injure yourself.
The deadlift is another exercise where weightlifting belts are a staple. The deadlift is an exercise where your back is at significant risk for injury if you lift improperly. Torso flexion is a severe problem with this exercise, and a belt can help to prevent extra flexion.
Clean and Jerk
The clean and jerk is a movement where the athlete needs to maintain an upright torso. If they don’t, they risk the weight crashing down on them from above their head. A belt can help prevent your back from bending, and as a result, you will have better form and less risk for injury.
Barbell rows are a similar exercise to the deadlift, but they are slightly more dynamic because you are lifting two separate weights. Even with their small differences, barbell rows benefit from a weightlifting belt in the same way you would in a deadlift. The belt will help prevent your form from breaking down when fatigued.
Finally, the bench press is another exercise that benefits from a weightlifting belt. Seeing the bench press listed may be surprising, as you will see people perform this exercise without a belt all the time. However, when people attempt heavier weights, they tend to arch their lower back.
Arching your lower back is dangerous and can lead to injury. The belt stabilizes your back and forces you to lift with proper form.
What are the Different Types of Weightlifting Belts?
To find the best weightlifting belt for you, you need to know what all the different types of weightlifting belts are. There are four main types of belts: powerlifting, bodybuilding, strongman, and weightlifting.
Professionals and amateurs use a powerlifitng belt when they are lifting their max weight. You will typically use this belt for squat, bench press, and deadlift.
It is best to use a bodybuilding belt for long-duration training. You can use this belt for most exercises but should not use it for max lifts. This type of belt is designed to fit you perfectly and be very comfortable.
Strongman belts are for people who compete in Strongman competitions. This type of belt is perfect for highly specific exercises such as log and stone lifts.
Finally, weightlifting belts are meant for clean and jerk, snatch, and squats. They have a tapered design that does not hinder your mobility while performing the quick movements in the above exercises.
How We Reviewed to Help You Find the Best Weightlifting Belt
Purchasing a bad weightlifting belt can lead to injury; as a result, we took our research very seriously and only wanted to highlight popular and successful belts. To ensure that each belt performed well, we made sure that each belt had 4.0 out of 5.0 stars on Amazon or higher. Additionally, we looked at professional reviews where they were available.
The 10 Best Weightlifting Belts for You
Here we’ll look at 10 belts that could be considered the best weightlifting belt available. You should note that although this is a numbered list, we did not rank the belts. Instead, we listed the weightlifting belts in alphabetical order.
1. Dark Iron Fitness Genuine Leather Weight Lifting Belt
- BUILT TO LAST : our leather weight belt doesn't break, tear, or wear out like inferior weight belts made from cheap materials like fake leather, plastic, nylon, or velcro
- DOESN’T DIG INTO YOUR SIDES OR HIPS : our weight belts are made from genuine buffalo hide leather which is designed to be soft, supple, and flexible so it eliminates any pain while lifting, yet still being super supportive
- DEADLIFT AND SQUAT OVER 600 POUNDS WITHOUT BREAKING : customers continue to confirm they’re able to successfully lift well over 500 and 600 pounds while using our belts without issues of them breaking - they’re also IPF and USAPL approved
- AVERAGE INCREASE OF 10% MORE WEIGHT LIFTED : with the right thickness and width, our belt allows or extra power, strength, and support in your back and abs and customers confirm they’ve instantly improved their lifts by 10% on average while using our weightlifting belts
- CUSTOMER SATISFACTION: We're so confident in the quality of our weightlifting belt, we'll send you a brand new one at no cost to you if yours ever fails. A great christmas gift for the Fitness Freak in your life - just in time for a New Year, New You.
This attempt to create the best weightlifting belt by Dark Iron Fitness is a belt made to last. It is very durable and meant for squats, deadlifts, and powerlifting.
Here’s an interesting catch for virtually any exercise you perform with this thing around your waist – it increases your performance by up to 10%, which can be quite a lot if you need that little bit of an extra push to get to your goal.
On the other hand, as far as the visual part of this belt is concerned, the folks at Dark Iron Fitness made sure that this thing looks tough and manly, so you can rest assured you won’t be laughed at in your local gym if you appear with this thing around your waist.
The belt provides excellent lower back support while remaining comfortable and flexible. Additionally, the folks at Dark Iron Fitness are so confident in their belt that if yours ever breaks they’ll send you a new one for free.
This belt is incredibly popular among consumers.
2. Element 26 Self-Locking Weight Lifting Belt
Most weightlifting belts use cheap straps to support your lift. However, this belt uses a self-locking mechanism to ensure the belt stays in place. This is especially useful for people who have had trouble with the Velcro popping off on their previous belts.
The great thing about this self-locking mechanism is that it’s been built in such a way that it can never unlock itself unless you do it, so you will always be sure with this thing on your waist, no matter how intense the exercise you’re doing at the moment.
On the other hand, if you want to take this thing off, you can do so easily by simply pulling on the roller right next to the logo. Once you’ve done that, you can simply take off the belt and that’s it.
The Element 26 is made from premium nylon to ensure equal distribution of pressure during lifts. Additionally, the belt is competition approved and has a lifetime warranty. It also comes in five different sizes, so, no matter your size, this belt could be the best weightlifting belt for you.
3. Fire Team Fit Weightlifting Belt
This belt made by Fire Team Fit is appropriate for both men and women. It has a lightweight design and provides excellent abdominal and lower back support.
Thanks to its modern design, this thing allows you to get exactly the amount of support you need to pull off a perfect lift every time, no matter what your sport discipline is.
The thing is, what this belt does for you is it prevents hyperextension, as well as hyperflexion, so you can offer your best lifting performance every time knowing that this thing won’t lead to back injuries and other annoying and potentially dangerous injuries related to lifting heavy.
Unlike leather belts with a predetermined set of holes, this belt has a hook and loop support strap that gives you the ability to adjust the tightness. This will provide you with the comfort you need for more extended exercises. Furthermore, the belt has a lifetime warranty.
4. Harbinger 4-Inch Nylon Weightlifting Belt
- 4 inch weightlifting belt with extra wide 3 inch support strap provides maximum lower back and abdominal support for heavier lifts
- Parallel lines of 346 count nylon stitching run the entire belt length to stabilize the belt body for uniform support
- Heavy gauge steel roller buckle makes tensioning simple and easy
- Thick, flexible heavy duty nylon web provides maximum comfort and durability while maintaining muscle warmth
- Available in four waist sizes: s (24 29 inches), m (29 33 inches), l (33 37 inches), xl (37 42 inches); measure around waist to determine size
This 4-inch belt has an extra-wide 3-inch support strap to provide maximum lower back and abdominal support for max lifts. Additionally, the manufacturers made the belt from nylon, which offers excellent comfort and durability while maintaining muscle warmth.
Furthermore, the belt is available in four sizes. As far as increasing and decreasing the tension is concerned, all you need to do is get the roller to a certain position where you feel the most comfortable and then tighten it. At the same time, loosening up this belt is a piece of cake, as all you need to do amounts to simply decreasing the tension using the same belt roller.
Thanks to its tough build, you can rest assured that this thing will last you for a long time indeed, as long as you’re taking good care of it at all times.
5. Harbinger 23330 Weightlifting Belt
- NOTE: The measurement should include the adjustable belt portion
- Extra wide 5 inch strength training belt with 3 inch support strap provides maximum lower back and abdominal support for heavier lifts
- Thick, flexible ultra light closed cell foam provides maximum comfort and maintains muscle warmth
- Heavy gauge steel roller buckle makes tensioning simple and easy; plush tricot lining is comfortable against skin
- Durable abrasion resistant fabric flame laminated directly to foam core to prevent fraying and pilling
This next belt by Harbinger is extra wide at 5 inches and has a 3-inch support strap. This improves the support you get around the lower back and abdominals.
Additionally, the belt uses ultra-light closed-cell foam. The foam provides a high level of comfort while maintaining muscle warmth. The belt is available in four different sizes.
In other to prevent the stretchable foam they’ve built in this thing, the folks at Harbinger also made sure to add an additional layer of abrasion-resistant fabric that can easily resist a number of different damages, so to speak, that can damage the sensitive inside layer of this belt.
This simple but effective feature adds a lot to this belt in the department of durability, so you can rest assured that if you buy this model, that it would last you for years to come. (Provided you take good care of it along the way, of course.)
6. Hawk Single Prong Power Lifting Belt
- ✅LIFETIME REPLACEMENT WARRANTY!!! We provide full guarantee for this single prong powerlifting belt. It'll not bend or break.
- ✅ROUNDED EDGES FOR COMFORT. High Quality Top of the line 4" wide 10 mm thick powerlifting belt.
- ✅BUILT TO LAST LONG - Stiff, durable leather powerlifter belt for great support; Heavy stitching with black suede lining on inside and out prevents the single prong powerlifting belt from sliding on the torso mid-lift. Perfect to give added support for heavy lifts which require you to brace your core during powerlfting
- ✅SINGLE PRONG powerlifting belt design allows quick and easy use of the weight lifting belt - Quick ON/OFF. #HawkSports to join our growing community of strong people 🙂
- ✅IPF LEGAL Powerlifting belt and ACCORDING TO POWERLIFTING STANDARDS. If you're between sizes then please choose the upper size for easy fitting. THIS IS A BARGAIN, we bet that you would not be able to find a 10mm single prong powerlifting belt at this price in the market.
As far as the warranty on this thin is concerned, the folks at Hawk would be willing to replace this item or otherwise fix it within a year of its purchase.
Most likely, the manufacturer’s confidence when this item is in question comes from the fact that it is made out of high-quality leather, which won’t break easily, no matter what the weight is that you plan to lift with this thing around your waist.
It has rounded edges to prevent sharp edges digging into you while you’re lifting.
The belt is a single prong powerlifting belt. This allows for the belt to be put on and taken off quickly and easily. Additionally, this belt is competition legal.
7. Hawk Sports Lever Belt
- ✅PREMIUM QUALITY TOP OF THE LINE: 4" wide 10MM thick lever belt powerlifting belt #HawkSports to join our growing community of strong people 🙂
- ✅BLACK LEVER BUCKLE designed lever belt allows quick and easy use of the lever belt - no fiddling around with the prongs, simply flip it shut straight to your preferred tightness.
- ✅OPTIMAL FOR POWERLIFTING: This lever buckle belt is Perfect to give added support for heavy lifts that require you to brace core such as squats and deadlifts.
- ✅GENUINE LEATHER: We provide full guarantee for this weight lifting powerlifting belt lever belt. If you're not satisfied with any aspect of the lever belt, just contact us and we'll be happy to help.
- ✅LIFETIME WARRANTY!!! Please refer to the measurements guide for this weight lifting lever belt: Waist Size: Small 26''-32'' , Medium 32''-38'' , Large 38'' -44''. Need help with assembling? Just type how to assemble a lever belt on youtube or use the following link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCQzGaiUXqs 🙂
The Hawk Sports Lever Belt comes with a black lever buckle, making it easy to use the lever belt. You won’t need to mess with the prongs; all you need to do is flip it shut at your desired tightness.
As for the material this thing was made out of, the folks at Hawk Sports decided to go for genuine leather, as you can gather from the name of this product itself. This choice of material means you will be able to do whatever you want with this belt and you will never have to worry about it getting ripped or otherwise broken.
If some problem does pop up with this thing, you can always contact the customer support at Hawk Sports, and they will help you out with everything right there on the spot.
This belt is good for powerlifting exercises such as squats and deadlifts. If something goes wrong or breaks, don’t worry, the belt has a lifetime warranty.
8. Iron Bull Strength Powerlifting Belt
- ✅ PREMIUM 10MM THICK LEATHER: Our PowerLifting Belt features a 10mm thick select, exclusive suede leather material construction. The 10mm thickness is used by the top athletes around the world and has been proven to give the best support and flexibility a powerlifting belt needs. This weight lifting power belt is finished with top quality, fine suede providing non-slip surface.
- ✅ MAXIMUM SUPPORT: Our 10mm thick weight lifting belt conforms to your body shape sooner and is considered by some to be the best and most comfortable thickness for a weight lifting power belt. Our belts are also competition approved: USPA & IPL Approved Gear
- ✅ ADJUSTABLE DOUBLE PRONG: The double roller buckle prongs are precision made, custom zinc plated steel and are unmatched in strength and durability, and it looks great.
- ✅ HEAVY DUTY: With a height of 4" across its length, this belt ensures your back, abs and entire core are evenly stabilized for extra power and strength.
- ✅ SIZING CHART: Please use sizing chart in listing images to order the correct size. You need to measure your true waist size with a flexible tape and NOT order by pants size.
This belt by Iron Bull Strength is an excellent option for powerlifting exercises such as the deadlift. It provides excellent support around your entire core to ensure that you have proper form during workouts.
Most of this strength and durability comes from the fact that this model is made out of premium 10 mm-thick leather, which in combination with the powerful buckle gives you a secure grip that will be able to support you through a number of different exercises.
As far as the legality of using one of these belts in a professional competition, these Iron Bull Strength contraptions can be used at a number of different tournaments as they were approved by USPA & IPL.
Additionally, the belt has an adjustable double prong. It is custom zinc plated and provide incredible strength and durability. As a bonus, the belt comes in a wide variety of colors and sizes.
9. ProFitness Genuine Leather Workout Belt
- IMPROVED FORM & TECHNIQUE – Maintaining proper squat and lifting form is essential to not only strength gains, but for reducing injuries. This weightlifting belt helps ensure you sustain balance and stability throughout your sets.
- PREVENT BACK INJURIES – Properly supporting your lower back (lumbar) is important, especially when lifting, twisting or supporting heavy weights. Our weightlifting belt is perfect for Cross Training exercises, powerlifting and daily fitness.
- COMFORTABLE LEATHER – Each 4” wide genuine leather belt is comfortable, adjustable and won’t slip or “ride” while you’re performing squats, power cleans, dead lifts, or clean and jerks; just lift, gain and support your physicality.
- BUILD CORE STRENGTH – Front to back, your core muscles play a major factor in your health and fitness. Our gym belt helps prevent back injury, but it also helps sustain strong abdominals and a thick back.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED – ProFitness has worked hard to create the best workout belt made of genuine leather possible, however, if you don’t love it, return it with 60 days for a full, money back refund.
The people at ProFitness ensure that this belt will help you sustain balance and stability during your exercises. Additionally, the belt is designed to prevent back injuries by properly supporting your lower back. The belt is also comfortable, made with leather, and is adjustable to fit your needs.
The material in question that makes this belt so strong and supportive is genuine leather. Unlike its cheap knock-offs, genuine leather possesses a natural strength, which easily translates into support and durability, as long as you take good care of it over time, of course.
Using this belt while performing exercises involving heavy lifting means you can ensure your safety because this thing will support both your abdomen, your back, and your core muscles. Without such support, you risk injuries that can put you out of training for weeks and even months, so if you’re serious about your training and you wish to ramp it up in the near future, definitely consider getting yourself one of these.
This belt is best for exercises such as squats, power cleans, deadlifts, and clean and jerks.
ProFitness says your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you aren’t satisfied, you can return the belt for a full refund in the first 60 days.
10. RitFit Weight Lifting Belt
- RitFit Weight Lifting Belt are ergonomically designed to provide Firm & Comfortable Lumbar Support during any kind of Strength Training.
- 6’’ Inch Wide Waterproof foam core with our brushed tricot lining and soft bound edges and Adjust to fit snugly for proper effect with low profile torque ring and hook and loop closure.
- Reduce spinal flexion creating safer biomechanics when lifting and provides superior back and abdominal support and is hand washable with Air Dry.
- Strength training has a wide range of benefits and is a great way to lose weight and improve your overall health, fitness and conditioning. RitFit weight-lifting belts ideal tool to help you master exercises with added safety and confidence, such as: Squats, Lunges, Deadlifts, Thrusters. This belt is not limited to leg movements - you can easily incorporate it into your advanced back and shoulder training: standing bent-over rows, standing over-the-head shoulder press, and many more!
- Suitable for all Kind of Strength Training. Various size options: Black(S:22-29’’, M:30-36’’, L:37-43’’, XL:44-51’’,XXL:52--59’’)You are Backed by RitFit Protective Gear Satisfaction Guarantee Policy with Lifetime Warranty. 100% CUSTOMER SATISFACTION GUARNTEED!!! FULL MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY!!! ORDER NOW!!! HURRY UP!!!
The only appearance from RitFit on our list, their attempt to create the best weightlifting belt comes in this ergonomically designed and comfortable option. It has a 6-inch-wide waterproof foam core and softbound adjustable edges for the maximum level of comfort.
This thing is made out of a special foam core that is waterproof to prevent sweat from compromising it, so to speak, and then there’s also some special brushed tricot lining together with some soft bound edges. All of these design solutions have been put in place to ensure that whoever wears it will be well-supported at all times while performing the exercises they want to do.
The closure is of a simple hook ‘n’ loop type, so you can rest assured that you’ll always be able to open and close this belt with ease.
Furthermore, this belt is very versatile and is useful for nearly all kinds of strength training. It also comes in five sizes and a wide variety of colors and designs.
Which Is the Best Weightlifting Belt for You?
After reading about 10 different belts, we hope that you have a better idea of what the best weightlifting belt for you is. More importantly, we hope you are better informed about what makes a good weightlifting belt.
Unfortunately, we can’t tell you which of these belts is the best weightlifting belt for you. Everyone has different needs, and it would be disingenuous for us to claim that we knew which belt is just right for you. However, we can say with confidence that most consumers received all 10 belts we listed well.
Are you an experienced weightlifter, or are you just starting? Which belt do you think is the best weightlifting belt for you? Let us know in the comments!